Monday, November 22, 2010

Movie Monday: An Emergency Late Night Post

[Explored FP] Please add notes your favourite movie title name

I come to you with a pressing update: I received notice in my email this evening that since Netflix is releasing a streaming-only option for $8/month, my streaming & 1 dvd at a time plan is going to increase to $10/month.

I realize they are trying to compete with Hulu (what does Hulu have, anyway? TV shows?), but I don't watch many instant movies on Netflix; if anything, my sister uses streaming more than I do. At first I used Netflix to watch all of Mad Men, & now I use it to watch movies that I would otherwise have to buy.  Wait Until Dark? Not a shot in hell I'm gonna find that in my local Blockbuster (& Netflix has already forced my other local Video store to close). The Grass Harp? $2 from Half.com. I don't generally buy movies.

So my options are:
1. Suck it up & pay the extra dollar
2. Go down to the $5, DVD-only plan, where I max out after 2 DVDs/month ($2.50/movie, Netflix? Come on)
3.  Quit Netflix all together & watch instant movies on Boyfriend's Queue, feel bitter against the world.

I know you're probably thinking 'Come on Beth, it's only $1!' But it's the principle of the thing. Why should they be allowed to price-gouge me because everybody else is happy watching only what's readily available? Not to make this sound like an issue of whose taste is better, but seriously. I want to watch movies from studios that didn't work out distribution deals, too.

I'll probably choose the cut-off-my-nose-to-spite-my-face & be happy about it option. Any way I go, Netflix is going to be losing my money.

netflix envelope art - robot

No comments: