Monday, November 22, 2010

Actors helping actors

three ballerinas


I've been thinking lately about how young people in the theater relate to each other. For instance, in the Haunted House, everybody was very pleasant to each other & about our work. However, in outside discussions I gathered that some people felt similarly about the less socially adept members of our cast. But instead of being all Middle School (or let's face it, Binghamton Theater Department) about it, we were pleasant & professional to one another. I like that.


I have been sending along casting calls from Backstage.com  to my fellow graduates, & only hope they might do the same for me (& they already have!). Yes, we are all in competition, but we're really not going to help ourselves by generating animosity. Besides, maybe if I send them a listing for a casting call today, then when I have a question about a certain company or director, they'll enthusiastically answer.

I think it's important for us to stick together & help each other out as much as possible, especially during the first few years. You make your own world- so if you want to spend the rest of your life a sniping, hyper-competitive bitch, then go right ahead & start out that way.... because once you're known for something, it's hard to change opinions (Patti LuPone, anybody? & she wasn't even really a diva!).

Maybe this is all coming from listening to the White Album on repeat recently, but can't we all just get along? The TV reminds us constantly that the economy is crap, that there's no work for young people, & we can't find anywhere to live. So instead of despairing whenever I hear about the success of others & putting them down, I'm going to make my best effort to stay positive, & surround myself with people who do the same. I hope you'll join me.

Pauline Chase (LOC)

1 comment:

JKAPS said...

true. we were pretty chill @ the haunted house