Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Closet Cleanout


I just attempted a closet cleanout, a la the one staged about a year ago by my most-mentioned blogger, Gala Darling [I could write a whole post about how much I love her... maybe I will!].

It didn't go too well. I'm very attached to a lot of the clothing that quite frankly doesn't fit me anymore. I had my sister around to help me out, + I was able to foist some stuff off on her, but... I get really sentimental about clothing! Fortunately I was finally in a mood to throw away the things that are just nasty + decaying (other than my favorite jeans... you will have to pry those from my cold, dead hands)... but my closet is still packed.

I think the issue is that I am moving into a somewhat more formal, 'grown-up' style, which leaves a lot of the hippie-vomit stuff I wore at the end of high school [still perfectly good, still fits me] out of the loop, and I haven't the heart to get rid of it... lots of it is handmade, and some of them were super-thrilling Goodwill finds.

The other issue is that my closet is too tiny. I know everybody says that, but my room is smaller than any of the college dormitories I have lived in, + my closet was literally designed for a twelve-year-old. So once you get the two old prom dresses and my shoe collection and the knitting projects in there, it runs out of space.

And, of course, there is the obvious fact that I pack all of my possessions into suitcases and move to school every four months, + I should probably just cheer up and get used to a life in transit, because I looked great the whole time I was in London, + I only had one suitcase worth of clothing.

No comments: